Friday, November 7, 2008

Just blame it on the truth.

I have a cousin that is gay, a friend that is a lesbian and placed a baby for adoption. What does all this have in common? Prop 8... I'll get to my point in just a moment. I've hesitated for sometime about posting on Prop 8. Since having Max and learning all the facts about adoption, I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard spot. I love my cousin and friend dearly and know for a fact that the homosexual tendencies started from the time they were in preschool, it is not something they woke up one morning and decided to go against the grain. I do believe that it is a choice they make and do or do not choose to act upon.
Since adoption has entered my life, I have learned so much. Am I grateful Proposition 8 passed? YES. If it did not pass, LDS Family Services would have to adopt to homosexual couples, which they would not do and they would have to close their services in California and people in California would not be able to adopt through LDS Family Services. (I hope I got that right...Mrs. R explains it soo well here) On the news last night, surrounding the LA LDS Temple, there were protestors. I don't understand where they think throwing tantrums, stopping traffic, upsetting people trying to get to work is going to get them?
I was reading a thread on facebook. It broke my heart. I had to just shut my computer and stop reading the profanities against the church. This person, a former strong member of the church, now slamming it with all their friends because Prop 8 didn't pass. They have to blame it on something, why not the truth.
Being that it is November and November is National Adoption Month, it makes me squeel with great joy that Prop 8 passed. It does have a lot to do with adoption. Children need an eternal family that they can return to their Heavenly Father with. They need a mother and a father to do that. Marriage between a man and woman is sacred. Thank you California voters who said YES to Prop 8!
I will end there, Obama is another post. Oh.boy. History? Yep. The Second Coming kind of history.
No, I'm just kidding... I think he'll do OK. Let us just live each day at a time!

3 comments:

Lindsay Lou said...

Obama is the man - at least for us educators, and I'll be frank: I voted for him because the other choice was just not a fan of reforming No Child Left Behind - the silliest piece of government work to ever be passed - at least from a teacher's point of view. You'll have to read Alyss's blog, she's a HUGE fan of Obama and is sincerely so elated that he was elected. I'll have to admit I was a bit panicked for about 5 seconds when they announced he won, but then, I had a great sense of peace...It was weird, I know, but what else can do? This country needs, it has to have a different direction. the past 8 years have been a sad, sad chapter in the history of our country. anyway, my senior daughter has illuminated the way for me...she has her own unique views which I don't totally agree with, but I do know that we can't have the same administration leading us in the same manner as they have with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer, and the teachers getting slammed with silly legislation.

Anyway, now that I've written my book...I'm so glad about Prop 8 but seriously concerned about all the protestors as well. They spew about the hatred from the LDS people, or the supporters, but what about all the hatred they are espousing by their riotous protesting? There is no gray area on this subject. Of that I am sure!

Have a great day, Ashlee! :D

The Ball Babies said...

Sorry, Ash, that obviously was not Lindsay...Technical difficulties from the dashboard.

Anyway, I'm sure she has opinions about the whole election as well, all of my kids do! We'll leave that up to her to discuss with you though!!!

Chelsea and Glen said...

Great post Ashlee! You are right, they just want someone to blame. I don't think the majority of Californians are LDS, therefore, the majority of the people that voted for Prop 8 were not LDS. Can you imagine LDS couples that have to get married civilly first and then go to the temple? That's how it is in other countries and that's how it would be in California if Prop 8 didn't pass. Our leaders wouldn't be able to perform marriage ceremonies since they won't perform gay marriage ceremonies. It's all very silly. Thank you for your post.